Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Rainbow Connection

I have never rainbow dyed. I love to dye yarn and have dyed quite a bit of stuff, but I have never done good old faithful rainbow dyeing.
This is because I am not fond of strongly variegated yarns, and I don't like colours mixing to brown.

So one weekend I thought I had better give it a go. I mean if I was selling kits I should at least have had a go at it myself.

I set up and threw all abandon to the wind (it was a actually quite cold and rainy) and made up my colours, curled my skein into a spiral in my plastic tub and went about adding colours in ordered randomness. I wanted some blending, but not too much, it was a fine balance.


I was very happy with the way it turned out - I had a good omen while I was dyeing, a big rainbow appeared in the sky.
I wasn't sure how it would make up, but I liked the colours in the skein so I set the dye and put it out to dry.

I couldn't have been more happy with the end result. Winding this yarn into a ball I found the blend of colours very pleasing. I could have left it sitting on my bench and just kept admiring the pretty colours.
But I wanted to make it up into something to see how it would come out.
Crochet was my quickest option, so I tried a Crobaktus pattern, but couldn't seem to make the decreases match as exactly as I wanted them too - also I wanted a long thin scarf cross shawl, so I undid it (several times) and crocheted my own version.

I was happy with the outcome.
Here it is blocking.

The yarn is a 5ply crepe yarn.






I wouldn't make everything in rainbow and I'm still not a fan of lots of variegation but I was really pleased with this one.

No comments: